A historical sign was erected in September 2018 to remember the Howland School. The school was established in 1863 and maintained during the first two years by the individual enterprise of R.B. Howland, who bought of Slocum Howland, for $6,000, the Philip Winegar homestead on the corner of Park and Cayuga Street. That summer he built the east wing and a wooden addition on the south end which was used as a gymnasium and public hall. A 4-story brick addition was built in 1872 allowing accommodation of 50 boarders. The boarding school opened in 1873. In 1875, the school was taken in charge by trustees of the school fund of $50,000 left by George Howland, father of R.B. Howland of New Bedford, MA. The school was supported by the school fund and tuition and operated until 1880.
The school was confined exclusively to ladies. It was first conducted under the name of "Young Ladies Institute", which was changed to Howland School when it came under the management of the trustees and the Howland school fund. The school had full collegiate courses, mathematics, the classics and the languages. It attained a high degree of excellence and enjoys a good reputation for thorough work; but it languished for want of proper support and patronage.
A photo of the historical sign can be seen on the website under Photo Gallery.
Information for this article was taken from History of Cayuga County, NY 1789-1879 by Elliot G. Storke. The Frontenac Museum has a copy of this book which is available to review on site by appointment.